What is Toyota Safety Sense?
What is Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS)?
These days, nearly every new Toyota vehicle includes some iteration of Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS). What is Toyota Safety Sense™? It’s an advanced suite of driver-assistive safety features that help you drive more safely on the roads of Midwest City and Norman. Learn more about the systems of Toyota Safety Sense™ below, and find a TSS-equipped vehicle at Bob Howard Toyota!
Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS) Systems
There are seven available systems that comprise Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS). However, there are also several different TSS packages, and the systems that come with each package will vary. Below, we’ll cover the details of each system and how they work. Then, in the next section, we’ll cover which systems come with each TSS package.
- Automatic High Beams (AHB) use a windshield-integrated camera to detect the headlights of oncoming cars and the taillights of preceding cars, so you don’t have to toggle between high beams and low beams manually when you’re driving above 21 mph at night.
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD) (also available with Bicyclist Detection) helps detect vehicles or pedestrians in your path and provides audio/visual forward collision warnings. If you fail to react, the system provides automatic emergency braking.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) (also available with Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control) uses a radar within the front grille’s Toyota badge to measure vehicle-to-vehicle distance and help you maintain a proper distance from the driver ahead of you. DRCC is only intended for highway use.
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) (also available with Steering Assist and Road Edge Detection) alerts you if you’re drifting out of your lane and. If equipped, it will also gently guide you back into your lane.
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA) works when DRCC is enabled and lane markers are visible, using the lines in the road and the path of preceding vehicles to help you stay centered in your lane.
- Road Sign Assist (RSA) uses an intelligent camera to read speed limit signs, stop signs, Do Not Enter signs, and yield signs. Icons for each sign are displayed on the Multi-Information Display.
- Proactive Driving Assist (PDA) uses the vehicle’s camera and radar to gently brake as you approach curves in the road, as well as gentle braking and/or steering to provide support for driving tasks like maintaining distance from preceding cars, pedestrians, or bicyclists.
Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS) Packages
Toyota Safety Sense™ comes standard with just about every new Toyota model, but different models come with different TSS packages. See which systems are included in the different TSS packages, so you know what you’ll get with the vehicle you’re considering:
- Toyota Safety Sense™ C (TSS-C): Found on compact Toyota cars, this package includes Pre-Collision System, Lane Departure Alert, and Automatic High Beams.
- Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS-P): Included on mid-size and large Toyota models, this package includes Pre-Collision System, Lane Departure Alert, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, and Automatic High Beams.
- Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0): An advanced package included on upper-level models, TSS 2.0 includes Pre-Collision System, Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control OR Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Lane Departure Alert, Automatic High Beams, Road Sign Assist, and Lane Tracing Assist.
- Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.5/2.5+ (TSS 2.5/TSS 2.5+): These packages build off of TSS 2.0, enhancing the six system’s functionalities with a high-resolution camera and millimeter-wave radar.
- Toyota Safety Sense™ 3.0 (TSS 3.0): The new-generation TSS 3.0 improves the safety systems even further with wider camera angles, improved radar sensor with a longer and wider field of view, over-the-air updates, and the addition of the Proactive Driving Assistant.
Find a Vehicle with Toyota Safety Sense™ at Bob Howard Toyota
You never know what you’ll encounter on the roads of Del City, but a vehicle equipped with Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS) will help you feel prepared for anything. Contact us or stop by Bob Howard Toyota to test drive a vehicle with TSS and learn about other Toyota models and features in the meantime.